Article courtesy of Dr. Claire Morris, ND. Visit her at ClaireMorrisND.com.
The number 1 killer of Americans today is heart disease. It has been the #1 cause of death for the past 80 years. This creates a financial burden on our society of an estimated “2 BILLION DOLLARS A DAY.”
Heart disease can be prevented and even reversed. Unless you are born with a congenital heart defect, heart disease is not normal or natural. Even more alarming is the increase of heart disease in our youth.
Some forms of this disease are:
- Coronary blockages
Contributing factors in heart disease are:
Hippocrates said, “Let your food be your medicine…”. If we followed this advice we would have little need for medication.
Heart-saver foods are fresh fruits and vegetables, especially the deep red and green colored ones. Stay away from all refined foods, hydrogenated fats and empty carbohydrates and consume 26 or more grams of fiber daily.
Heart-saver supplements can make up for the lack in our diets and our physical needs. Specific nutrients proven especially beneficial to the heart are:
- B complex-these protect the endothelium and create cellular metabolism and energy;
- Grape seed extract – a cardiovascular specific antioxidant;
- L-arginine– is a vasodilator and is a precursor to nitric oxide which protects against heart disease and stroke;
- GTF chromium-for blood sugar regulation and energy;
- Hawthorn berry– a very heart specific herb. Heart will work more efficient with less energy;
- Magnesium and potassium– two important minerals for muscle function, nerve conduction, energy and sodium balance;
- EDTA – a chelation product that eliminates heavy metals and plaque;
- Vitamin C– free radical scavenger;
- COQ10-boosts heart performance and strength, even without exercise and the immune system;
- Omega 3 oils– a good fat that improves insulin function, lowers triglycerides and blood pressure while increasing HDL (good cholesterol), improving blood flow and acting as an anti-inflammatory; and
- Exercise – though not a vitamin it is a necessity for good health!
Being a HEART SAVER is a choice not chance. Saving your heart means taking a proactive approach. Be sure each day brings you at least one step closer to a healthier heart and happier life.