Article courtesy of Dr. Claire Morris, ND. Visit her at ClaireMorrisND.com.
The number 1 killer of Americans today is heart disease. It has been the #1 cause of death for the past 80 years. This creates a financial burden on our society of an estimated “2 BILLION DOLLARS A DAY.”
Heart disease can be prevented and even reversed. Unless you are born with a congenital heart defect, heart disease is not normal or natural. Even more alarming is the increase of heart disease in our youth.
Some forms of this disease are:
- Coronary blockages
Contributing factors in heart disease are:
Hippocrates said, “Let your food be your medicine…”. If we followed this advice we would have little need for medication.
Heart-saver foods are fresh fruits and vegetables, especially the deep red and green colored ones. Stay away from all refined foods, hydrogenated fats and empty carbohydrates and consume 26 or more grams of fiber daily.
Heart-saver supplements can make up for the lack in our diets and our physical needs. Specific nutrients proven especially beneficial to the heart are:
- B complex-these protect the endothelium and create cellular metabolism and energy;
- Grape seed extract – a cardiovascular specific antioxidant;
- L-arginine– is a vasodilator and is a precursor to nitric oxide which protects against heart disease and stroke;
- GTF chromium-for blood sugar regulation and energy;
- Hawthorn berry– a very heart specific herb. Heart will work more efficient with less energy;
- Magnesium and potassium– two important minerals for muscle function, nerve conduction, energy and sodium balance;
- EDTA – a chelation product that eliminates heavy metals and plaque;
- Vitamin C– free radical scavenger;
- COQ10-boosts heart performance and strength, even without exercise and the immune system;
- Omega 3 oils– a good fat that improves insulin function, lowers triglycerides and blood pressure while increasing HDL (good cholesterol), improving blood flow and acting as an anti-inflammatory; and
- Exercise – though not a vitamin it is a necessity for good health!
Being a HEART SAVER is a choice not chance. Saving your heart means taking a proactive approach. Be sure each day brings you at least one step closer to a healthier heart and happier life.
STRESS AND DEPRESSION
ARE NOT HEART HEALTHY
5 ESSENTIAL OILS BLENDS FOR STRESS
Blend #1: Lavender, Frankincense, & Orange
Lavender has a very calming & relaxing scent which may be helpful in both physical and emotional balancing. Studies have shown that smelling lavender increases beta waves in the brain which suggests greater relaxation & less mental stress.
Frankincense is a great oil that may help lift the spirits and improve attitude. This oil has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes and in religious ceremonies.
Orange is very uplifting like many of the citrus oils. One university study found that orange and other citrus scents helped promote relaxation – something much needed this time of year!
Blend #2: Lavender, Roman Chamomile, & Ylang Ylang
Roman Chamomile has a calming scent that may help ease anxiety and restlessness. For many years, mothers have had success using chamomile for calming little ones.
The influence of Ylang Ylang ( flower of flowers ) may help derail tendencies toward anger & help set aside negative energy. This oil has been used medicinally to help regulate heartbeat & to possibly ease anxiety and depression.
Blend #3: Bergamot, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang
Bergamot is another personal favorite of mine! I love the calming scent, which helps lift my mood almost immediately. This is another citrus oil that has been used for hundreds of years for it’s medicinal benefits.
Patchouli has a relaxing effect (love using this one near the end of the day) that may help with thought clarity.
Blend #4: Lavender, Lime, Mandarin
Lime has been historically used to support and strengthen the respiratory system; mandarin has a scent that promotes happiness and smells wonderful combined with Lavender and Lime.
Blend #5: Bergamot, Geranium, Lavender
Geranium is wonderful blended with Bergamot & Lavender, and together the three may help ease nervous tension, lift spirits and bring an overall sense of balance an calm emotionally.